Graduate Diploma in Disaster and Emergency Management
All applications to this program require submission of the following information and supporting documents before your file can be assessed for admission:
In order to?apply online, you will be required to create a log-in account using your email address.?You will be required to list all credit courses and/or programs you have completed or are currently enrolled in. An application fee will be required. If your application?fee(s)?are being paid for by a sponsoring?organization, please contact?Student Accounts. Once submitted, you may check the?status of your application?at any time.
Applicants are responsible for arranging for the submission of official transcripts from ALL post-secondary (higher education) institutions currently or previously attended, for all credit courses and/or programs. Transcripts are not required for non-credit programs or courses, though some programs may require proof of professional certifications or designations.
Transcripts are considered official only if submitted directly by the Registrar or other recognized authority of the providing institution in the institution's original, sealed envelope. If the envelope has been opened, the transcripts are no longer official and new (official) transcripts will be required to complete your application.
All?international transcripts or credentials are subject to an?international transcript and/or credential evaluation.
The statement's purpose is to assess applicants' writing skills, as well as their interest and ability to complete the program. Your personal statement should be written as a narrative and?must?address each of the following questions using each question as a separate heading:
- Why do you wish to enrol in the disaster and emergency management program??
- What academic courses and/or training have you in the area of disaster and emergency management?
- What work experience have you in the area of disaster and emergency management?
- How is this program relevant to your career goals??
- What experience have you had with distance education and self-directed study??
- What special strengths would you bring to the program??
Letters of Reference
Two letters of reference are required and may be provided by current or past employers, or those who have known you in an academic or volunteer setting. Although personal references are considered as part of the application, an emphasis is placed on professional and academic references.?
- Academic Reference:?This letter should attest to your performance in the context of your current or previous studies. The letter can address such areas as your academic skills and achievements, writing, ?thinking and study skills, flexibility, commitment to lifelong and self-directed learning, research skills, and tenacity.
- Professional Reference:?This letter should attest to your current or previous performance in your professional life. The letter can address areas such as your emergency preparedness and/or disaster management experience and capabilities as well as your leadership, management teamwork, and communication skills, community service, work ethic, and ability to deal with complex, stressful situations.
- Personal Character Reference:?A personal character reference should consist of a letter from someone who has known you for several years outside the context of your work. Please ask the writer to indicate the length of time and context in which they know you. This letter can mention attributes such as your commitment to learning, ability to work with others, communication skills, responsibility, and integrity.
- Post-secondary education:?List all post-secondary education, degrees, diplomas, and certificates you have achieved.
- Work experience:?Please include name of organization, position, length of service (month and year), and a brief description of duties.
- Training and professional development:?List career related training and professional development programs completed with the past five years. Include the source of training, and the duration and year completed. List other training and personal development programs not already identified.
- Voluntary/Unpaid Work Experience:?List and describe any voluntary/unpaid post-secondary employment and/or community service experience. Please include name of organization, length of service and a brief description of duties.
- Professional memberships/affiliations:?List memberships and positions you hold/have held in professional associations, service clubs, community/volunteer sector.
- Other relevant information:?Provide any other information which you believe is relevant to your application and will be of assistance to the review committee.
- Applicants declaring permanent resident or Convention Refugee status in Canada, must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (PR card) along with their application.
- Transcript evaluation fee or?credential evaluation report, if submitting international transcripts.
- An official?English Language Proficiency score?report or other evidence of proficiency if English is not your primary language.
- Other information or documents as may be requested to determine your eligibility.
For information on how and where to send your supporting documents, please refer to the?document submission?guidelines.