All applications to this program require submission of the following information and supporting documents before your file can be assessed for admission:
In order to?apply online, you will be required to create a log-in account using your email address. You will be required to list all credit courses and/or programs you have completed or are currently enrolled in. A non-refundable application fee will be required. If your application fee(s) are being paid for by a sponsoring organization, please contact?Student Accounts. Once submitted, you may check the?status of your application?at any time.
Applicants are responsible for arranging for the submission of official transcripts from ALL post-secondary (higher education) institutions currently or previously attended, for all credit courses and/or programs. Transcripts are not required for non-credit programs or courses, though some programs may require proof of professional certifications or designations. Transcripts are considered official only if submitted directly by the Registrar or other recognized authority of the providing institution in the institution’s original, sealed envelope. If the envelope has been opened, the transcripts are no longer official and new (official) transcripts will be required to complete your application.
All international transcripts or credentials are subject to an?international transcript and/or credential evaluation.
Your personal statement should be a maximum two-page letter that speaks to the following criteria:
- Your motivation for seeking entrance to the program (please respond to all of the following: why are you interested in this program? What do you hope to learn? What excites you about RRU’s teaching and learning model? Why do you feel called to this program at this moment in time?)
- The breadth and scope of your leadership experience (using one or more of the six criteria for leadership experience listed above, please describe your current and past leadership experience(s) and, how your training and/or life experiences demonstrate your leadership capacities and potential).
- Your experience working in teams and with others from different sectors, disciplines, cultures etc., and the specific skills and capacities that you believe are relevant and applicable to the program.
- The gifts or unique strengths you can bring to the program; and
- The areas you would like to improve upon as a student in the program and as a leader more broadly.
If applicable, please expand upon why you think your life and work experience and/or related formal education and courses merit adjudication as an?Emerging Leader?or under the?Flexible Admission process.
There are three options for your Writing Sample:
- You may include a recent (within the last 2 years) writing sample from your academic work that includes citations and a list of references.
- If you do not have a recent writing sample on file, you may write an original, maximum 500-word academic essay addressing the question: “What is my leadership philosophy?” Your writing should be clearly organized, should take a position substantiated with evidence from academic books and/or peer-reviewed articles, and use examples from your relevant life experience. The paper should be formatted using?APA 7 style, which is the preferred referencing style in the School of Leadership Studies. (Note that a sample APA essay is also available through?Owl Purdue.
- In lieu of a writing sample, applicants may register in the?Academic Writing and Critical Thinking course?offered through?Continuing Studies?at Royal Roads University. Your course may be in progress at the time of application. However, course completion with a minimum “B+” (77%)?is required as a condition for entry to the Leadership program. Please select a course offering that ends a minimum of five weeks prior to your desired program start date.
Please note: Applicants must submit a Writing Sample OR proof of enrolment in RRU Continuing Studies’ Academic Writing and Critical Thinking course as a part of their application package. Applicants who have previously completed RRU Continuing Studies’ Academic Writing and Critical Thinking course with a “B+” (77%) or above should submit their final grade confirmation letter.
A detailed or structured resume is one that provides a comprehensive professional profile of applicants, targeted towards their intended program of study. We are interested in knowing where applicants have worked, for how long, and what they were responsible for in the positions held. Provide as much information as possible, with special attention to demonstrating?five years of leadership experience?(and a minimum of 10 years of professional experience for flexible admissions) as described on the admission requirements page. ?Your detailed resume should include the following:
- Education:?List all post-secondary education, degrees, diplomas, and certificates you have achieved.?
- Work Experience:?Please include name of organization, position, length of service (month and year), and a brief description of duties.
- Voluntary/Unpaid Work Experience:?List and describe any voluntary/unpaid post-secondary employment and/or community service experience. Please include the name of the organization, length of service, and a brief description of duties, and, in particular, any leadership responsibilities. List positions you have held in this service.
- Information Technology Training and Experience:?Briefly describe your level of training and experience in the use of information technology including computers, software and telecommunications networks as tools for business, education, teaching and personal use.
- Professional memberships/affiliations:?List memberships and positions you hold/have held in professional associations, service clubs, community/volunteer sector.
- Other relevant information:?Provide any other information which you believe is relevant to your application and will be of assistance to the review committee in assessing what you could contribute to the learning community.
We require two professional references. Reference letters should be completed by someone from your current professional network (within the past five years) who can attest to your commitment, knowledge, skills, and ability to complete a demanding academic program. References from direct supervisors are preferred wherever possible.
References will not be accepted from members of your family.
- Applicants declaring permanent resident or Convention Refugee status in Canada must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (PR card) along with their application.
- Transcript evaluation fee or?credential evaluation report, if submitting international transcripts.
- An official?English Language Proficiency score?report or other evidence of proficiency if English is not your primary language.
- Other information or documents as may be requested to determine your eligibility.
For information on how and where to send your supporting documents, please refer to the?document submission guidelines.