English Language Requirements
English is the primary language of instruction and communication at Royal Roads University.?As part of the application process, all applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English speaking, listening, reading and writing by one of the following means:
- Submission of official English language proficiency scores
- Graduation from college or university at which English was the primary language of instruction in an English-speaking country
- Completion of a pathway program through the Global Learning and Language Centre (GLLC) at Royal Roads
Additional information on these options is included below.
Option 1 - Submission of an official English language proficiency score report which meets one of the following minimum standards:
Official results should be sent directly from the testing organization & should be less than 2 years old. RRU may consider other language proficiency tests on a case-by-case basis.
COVID-19 response (updated April 24, 2020)
Due to the recent temporary suspension of in-person testing conducted at various IELTS and TOEFL centres, Royal Roads University will accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and Duolingo English Test (DET) as evidence of language proficiency until further notice. We can also accept the IELTS Indicator test to assess your application; however, conditionally admitted students will be required to submit an official English Language test score (as listed below) to fulfill their condition before the start of their program. The IELTS Indicator test is available in most countries until test centres are able to resume in-person testing.
We strongly recommend that you submit an official IELTS, TOEFL or PTE-A test if you reside outside of any affected areas. We will be monitoring activities for IELTS, TOEFL and PTE-A centres and adjusting our requirements as necessary.?For more information, visit RRU's COVID-19 page.
For first year entry (4-year undergraduate degree programs):
- International English Language Testing System?(IELTS) Academic?6.5 overall with no single band score less than 6.0?
- Test of English as a Foreign Language?(TOEFL) iBT?88 overall with a minimum?20 reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Pearson Test of English – Academic?(PTE-A): 60 overall with no section less than 58
For first year entry (4-year undergraduate degree programs with language upgrading):
- International English Language Testing System?(IELTS) Academic?6.0 overall with a minimum 6.0 in?writing and speaking and 5.5 in?listening and reading?
- Test of English as a Foreign Language?(TOEFL) iBT?79 overall with a minimum?18 reading; 23 writing; 19 listening; and 19 speaking
- Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE-A): 55 overall with a minimum 55 in writing and speaking skills; minimum 51 in listening and reading skills
- Duolingo English Test (DET) Score of 105
For all Year 3 (degree completion) and most* graduate level entry:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic?6.5 overall with a minimum 6.5 in writing and speaking and 6.0 in listening and reading
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT 88 overall with a minimum 24 in writing and 20 in listening, reading and speaking
- Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE-A): 60 overall with a minimum 60 in writing and speaking and 58 minimum in listening and reading
- Duolingo English Test (DET) Score of 115
*For the Master of Arts in Professional Communication, Doctor of Social Science, and Doctor of Business Administration programs:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic 7.0 overall with a minimum 6.5 in writing, speaking, listening and reading
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT 100 overall with a minimum 26 in writing and 23 in listening, reading and speaking
- Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE-A): 68 overall with a minimum 60 in writing, speaking, listening and reading
Option 2 - Graduation from a recognized diploma or degree program from a college or university at which English was the primary language of instruction in an English-speaking country.
Holding a credential from one of the listed countries means that the English language requirement will normally be waived. However, please note that Royal Roads University reserves the right to request proof of language proficiency by means of a recognized language proficiency score report at any point in the application process.
Option 3 - Completion of the International Study Centre's undergraduate or pre-master's pathway program(s).
An applicant who does not yet meet our minimum language requirements for entry to a degree program has the option of registering in RRU’s Global Learning and Language Centre (GLLC) pathway programs. These programs provide support beginning at an IELTS 4.5, and will teach the language and academic skills required for success upon entry to one of RRU’s degree programs.
An applicant who believes they are fully proficient in English may provide a written submission to the International Admissions Office, demonstrating English proficiency through other means. Some programs may require additional or alternative verification of English competence.