A Quick Overview:
Recruitment Campaigns for Domestic Students
Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP)
If you're a full-time post-secondary student, you can apply to this program for a variety of full-time and part-time jobs! Plus, you don't have to reapply each year—your résumé will remain in the inventory unless you remove it yourself. Submit your résumé?here.
- Ongoing Student Recruitment Inventory
This is the federal government's largest inventory. It is an ongoing recruitment inventory offering full and part-time work opportunities in a wide variety of fields including business, science, engineering, administration, IT, finance, and many more. The Ongoing Student Recruitment Inventory is open to receive applications year-round.
- Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity (ISEO)
This inventory is open to Indigenous students only and offers full and part-time jobs year-round in a variety of fields. The ISEO is typically open to receiving applications beginning in January of each year.
- Employment Opportunity for Students with Disabilities (EOSD)
This inventory is open to students with disabilities only and offers full and part-time jobs year-round in a variety of fields. The EOSD is typically open to receiving applications beginning in January of each year.
- Other Inventories
The Government of Canada offers other student opportunities through FSWEP such as:
- Student Border Services Officers
- Student Guides in France
- Canadian Armed Forces Reservist Student Employment Opportunity
- Inshore Rescue Boat Student Program
- Security Officer Student Employment Opportunity
Research Affiliate Program (RAP)
- If research plays a role in your degree, you can apply to ongoing student opportunities to conduct innovative research for the federal government related to your field of study. Learn how to apply here.
Recruitment Programs for Domestic Grads and Soon to be Grads
Post-secondary Recruitment Campaign (PSR)
If you've graduated with a degree, or if you are in your final year of study, you can apply to?specific federal jobs?as part of this annual campaign. You can also submit your application to an?inventory?to be considered for jobs based on your skillset. The campaign begins in the fall term, so keep an eye out for info sessions on campus hosted by federal recruiters! You can learn more about the campaign here.
Recruitment of Policy Leaders (for graduate and post-graduate students)
If you have a post-graduate degree (Master's, PhD, etc.), you can apply for mid-to-senior level positions, where you'll work to shape public policy. Learn more here.
Specific Specialized Recruitment Opportunities
Find a range of department and agency-specific recruiting opportunities?here.
You can also apply to job opportunities through federal government job boards.?Browse general job postings
Information for International Students
International students can apply to and be hired for positions with the federal public service, but preference will be given to Canadian citizens who meet the job requirements first, this includes the Federal Work Experience Program. It is important to note that under the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA), that preference is generally given to Canadian citizens for hiring decisions. International students must have valid work and study permits in order to work legally in Canada and be eligible for internships, part-time work, and all other federal opportunities. Please refer to the following programs and departments that can offer employment opportunities for non-Canadian Citizens.
Federal Internship for Newcomers program (FIN)
The Federal Internship for Newcomers program offers eligible?newcomers a chance to gain valuable temporary work experience and training opportunities with Canadian federal, provincial, and municipal organizations.
Please note that this program is currently available in:
- Ottawa / Gatineau (or within a 125-kilometre radius)
- Halifax (or within a 100-kilometre radius)
- St. John’s (or within a 150-kilometre radius)
- Toronto (or within a 125-kilometre radius)
- Victoria (or within a 75-kilometre radius)
Agencies that may provide hiring opportunities to non-Canadian Citizens
The below agencies may provide hiring opportunities that are more open to non-Canadian citizens. If you have any questions, please reach out to the Federal Ambassador.
All postings can be accessed on GC Jobs?and filtered through selecting different organizations in the GC organizations filter.
- Canada Investment and Savings
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Canadian High Arctic Research Station
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- Communications Security Establishment
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada
- Invest in Canada Hub
- National Capital Commission
- National Film Board
- National Research Council of Canada
- National Security and Intelligence Review Agency Secretariat
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- Northern Pipeline Agency
- Office of the Intelligence Commissioner
- Parks Canada Agency
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
- Staff of the Non-Public Funds, Canadian Forces
- Statistics Survey Operations