The?Western Deans' Agreement?was established in 1974 as an expression of co-operation and mutual support among universities offering graduate programs in western Canada. Its primary purpose is the reciprocal enrichment of graduate programs in participating universities. Under the terms of this agreement, graduate students of the member institutions may take courses at another member institution without having to pay the host university's tuition fees.
Students may be required to pay student, activity, application, or other ancillary fees to the host institution, according to general policies in effect at the host institution. Wherever possible, these fees will also be waived.
The Western Deans' Agreement is supported by the following institutions:
- Athabasca University
- University of Alberta
- Brandon University
- University of British Columbia
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- University of Calgary
- Concordia University College of Alberta
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Manitoba
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Regina
- Royal Road University
- University of Saskatchewan
- Simon Fraser University
- University of Victoria
Guidelines for Royal Roads Students
Royal Roads University students who wish to take a course toward their RRU program of study at a member institution must meet the following requirements:
- Students must be enrolled in a master’s program or graduate certificate. Doctoral students are not eligible to participate.
- The course must be an approved (by the RRU program of study) equivalent of an integral course in the RRU program. Courses formally designated as electives in the Royal Roads program are eligible under this agreement. Students may not take additional courses or audit courses under this agreement. Courses that are offered as Continuing Studies courses, or not for graduate credit, are not eligible.
- Royal Roads students in the MA in Interdisciplinary Studies program may take courses under this agreement as long as they have been included in their approved 36-credit program schedule and as long as the maximum of 12 transfer credits for their program of study is not exceeded.
- Students must be in good standing at Royal Roads University.
- Students must pay the regular full program tuition to Royal Roads.
- The Authorization Form:?Western Deans' Agreement?must be completed and submitted a minimum of four weeks prior to the course start date. A retroactive fee waiver cannot be granted. The authorization form requires consent by both Royal Roads University and the Dean or designate and department head or graduate advisor of the member institution in this order:
- Royal Roads Program Head or School Director
- Royal Roads Faculty Dean
- Host Institution Department Head
- Host Institution Graduate Dean
- Students must meet all requirements as prescribed by the host university’s regulations, Graduate Program deadlines, class capacities, and course prerequisites.?
- Students are subject to regulations of the home institution governing credit for the courses to be undertaken. As a condition of registration at the host institution, students will arrange for official transcripts from the host institution to be sent to the home institution confirming successful completion of courses selected. Students must send confirmation of registration and notice of any change to the Graduate Records Office of the home institution at the time registration or course change is completed.
- Courses completed at a host institution under this agreement will be processed as transfer credits. Graduate transfer credit is limited to a maximum of 12 credits at Royal Roads.