Welcome to Indigenous Education?and Student Services
Royal Roads University members acknowledge that we learn, work, and live on the traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt)?and Lekwungen (Songhees) ancestors and families who have lived here for thousands of years.
This land has been part of the fabric of the life of Indigenous communities long before Hatley Castle was built, and it will be long into the future. It is with gratitude that we now learn and work here, where the past, present and future of Indigenous and non-Indigenous students, faculty and staff come together.
- To build stronger relationships with the Coast Salish and Wsanec communities
- To provide a welcoming environment that enhances Indigenous culture and traditional knowledge
- To provide a welcoming environment for Indigenous Students, so they feel Sneq’wa e’lun (the Blue Heron House), can be their “home away from home”
- To provide consistent, respectful working relationship that support and build opportunities that feed Indigenous students learning experience
- To stay connected with all Indigenous Alumni by capturing their career and education success stories
- To partner and connect with local, national and international Indigenous (First Nation, Metis, Inuit, Status, Non-Status) communities to share academic and cultural support to each other.
- To become a great host that follows Coast Salish protocols and that allows us to 'house' Indigenous students to feel that Royal Roads University can be their home away from home.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our Indigenous Education and Student Services webpages.
In honour of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lekwungen (Songhees) ancestors, “Hay’sxw’qa si’em”. In honour of the Nuu-chah-nulth ancestors, “Kleco! Kleco!!”